Mike Sonko suspends 30 procurement officials accused of graft
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has sent 30 Nairobi county procurement staff on forced leave for allegedly inflating prices and issuing Local Purchase Orders without necessary approval.
In a letter dated April 19, the Governor asked the accused officials to step aside with immediate effect to pave way for investigations.
“You are hereby required to proceed on leave with immediate effect pending complete investigations of your role and culpability in any regard to the above,” read part of the letter.
The officers are accused of failing to adhere to public finance management act as well as the public procurement and asset disposal act leading to loss of funds at the County.
In January, the governor sacked three of his aides just three months after appointing them. The aides were his personal assistant Bernard Kiio Mulwa, delivery unit deputy director Joseph Ireri Kamunde and Michael Mutua.
The three had been accused of soliciting for bribes from county contractors and suppliers, and the youth with the promise of speedy processing of payments and securing jobs respectively.
When he was elected as the Nairobi governor last year, Sonko has said he will not sack any county staff inherited from the previous regime, but warned that those found to be corrupt will not be spared.
Addressing journalists on Tuesday at City Hall, he said his administration would not victimise any worker on the basis of who they supported during the last General Election.
“In many counties workers have been fired but we will not do that here in Nairobi. Let us stop sacking workers just to settle political vendetta,” said the governor.
Sonko has said he is committed to sealing all the corruption loopholes and will not spare anyone involved.